Friday, July 19, 2013

The Baking Soda Challenge

My oven has been a sore spot for me.  No matter how I try to clean it I still can't get the greasy grime off the oven door or the inside.  I have a self cleaning oven which does work to a point but definitely doesn't get the door clean.

My goal is to get this oven spic and span.  I've pinned a million ways to do it on pintrest.  Most searches come up with good o'le backing soda.  Who new?  I've seen a lot of other bloggers try and document the process with amazing results.

Ok so now I had to try.  I only did my oven door just to see if it worked.  It's the grossest part of my oven.  Here's my take.......


This is what my oven door looked like...
a gunky mess, caked on goodness


I first sprinkled dry baking soda all over the door then spritzed 
with water until all of the baking soda was moist. 
 I let this sit for about 3 hrs


Most instructions on the web will tell you to take a paper towel and wipe clean
This may be the case if the grease and dirt isn't caked on I found that I had to use a little 
elbow grease with a copper scouring pad.  After scouring away this was the result....


An improvement but still visible grime.  
I tried a second application.  
This time I took about a cup of
baking soda and added just enough water to make a paste. 
 I then brushed the mixture all over the door.




I let this application sit for another 3 hours. 
After 3 hours I took my handy dandy copper scrubber
and scrubbed away.........


BINGO!  we have a winner.  The door looks brand new
I think if you keep up with this method (about a month)
You can just apply the paste, wait 2-3 hrs then wipe clean without scrubbing.  
If your oven is caked like mine you'll have to do a little scrubbing.

I only did my door.  This weekend I'm going to try the inside which isn't as bad.  
I think I'll try applying it at night, then let it sit over night.  

One thing's for sure I'm a convert to using baking soda as a cleaner...








No comments:

Post a Comment