Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken and Rice

I'm terrible at taking pictures while I cook but I wanted to share this really simple and delicious recipe I got from All Recipies.com

I'm all about the crock pot in the winter oh heck anytime really.  You just dump your ingredients in set the clock and forget about it!

Luckily I had all ingredients on hand.  Here we go....


INGREDIENTS:
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups converted long-grain white
rice
1/2 large white onion, sliced
1 (24 ounce) jar salsa
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
1 (1 ounce) packet dry taco seasoning
mix, divided
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast
halves
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
DIRECTIONS:
1.Pour the chicken stock into a slow cooker, and stir in the rice, onion, salsa, green chilies, and half the taco seasoning. Rub the remaining taco seasoning over the chicken breasts, and place into the cooker. Place the lid on the cooker, and set to high setting.
2.Cook until the rice is thickened and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 3 hours. About 20 minutes before serving time, turn the cooker to warm setting. Remove the chicken breasts, and slice them. Stir the chicken and the black beans into the slow cooker. Return lid to cooker, allow the beans to heat, and serve.





I did do a few substitutions.  I didn't have taco seasoning but I had fajita seasoning.  I also omitted the green chilies as I didn't have any and even if I did I would probably have left them out.  I used 3 chicken breast we get them from BJ's or Cost Co.  They come individual package great for quick meal.

I cooked mine for 6 hours on high.  About an 1 1/2 before it was ready I took the chicken out, shredded it then put it back in the pot.  At that time I also added the rice.

This is a keeper.  My husband loved it so much he took left overs to work for lunch!

Enjoy!

Xo,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment